Saturday 13 August 2016

Nimona by Noelle Stevenson Review (NON-SPOILER)

Hey book lovers, so I am back with another book review for you guys, and this time it is a graphic novel! This is my first ever graphic novel, and I happened to see it in my neighbourhood library one day, just sitting there, waiting for someone to pick it up. I heard a lot of great reviews so I thought why not just pick it up and try it! Turns out, it was a great experience reading this, and it just felt like reading manga, maybe even better. Now I can't wait to read more graphic novels to widen my horizons!

Okay, cutting the chat, let's go on to the review!

 Rating : 4.5/5 Stars!

Synopsis (from Goodreads) :
The graphic novel debut from rising star Noelle Stevenson, based on her beloved and critically acclaimed web comic, which Slate awarded its Cartoonist Studio Prize, calling it "a deadpan epic."

Nemeses! Dragons! Science! Symbolism! All these and more await in this brilliantly subversive, sharply irreverent epic from Noelle Stevenson. Featuring an exclusive epilogue not seen in the web comic, along with bonus conceptual sketches and revised pages throughout, this gorgeous full-color graphic novel is perfect for the legions of fans of the web comic and is sure to win Noelle many new ones.

Nimona is an impulsive young shapeshifter with a knack for villainy. Lord Ballister Blackheart is a villain with a vendetta. As sidekick and supervillain, Nimona and Lord Blackheart are about to wreak some serious havoc. Their mission: prove to the kingdom that Sir Ambrosius Goldenloin and his buddies at the Institution of Law Enforcement and Heroics aren't the heroes everyone thinks they are.

But as small acts of mischief escalate into a vicious battle, Lord Blackheart realizes that Nimona's powers are as murky and mysterious as her past. And her unpredictable wild side might be more dangerous than he is willing to admit.


What I like:

The genuine feeling the characters give in this book, it felt like they are real characters and that they are just so true and really have emotions which you can also feel together with them in the book. Whenever the characters have any problems, you really feel the struggles that they are feeling at that moment.

I also enjoyed how the author actually ventured into the other side of the hero world, where you get to see how the heroes and villains came about, and they took a really different turn from how you will be expecting when reading the book, which really took me by surprise, and I really enjoyed this element in the book. 


And lastly, I also enjoyed seeing how the characters were actually all flawed, like they had their bad times and nightmares that they had to overcome. Usually, all heroes are perfect, and all enemies are bad and wicked, but what if they are different from the usual? What if they are not what you expect them to be? 

I went into this book unknown about all this things, and to be honest, they took me by surprise and it was one of the best things about this book, and I would definitely want to read more about such flawed characters. 

What I dislike:

I didn't like the ending of the book as it was really vague, and I didn't like how I have to guess what is happening afterwards, like there was no definite ending to the ending, you know what I mean? It's confusing, but it's just sort of a ending that has no conclusion to it, which sort of bothers me. 
And there are two characters in the book that sort of came together at the end, but I have no idea whether they are together because they felt like they need to, or because they want to. Which, again, bothers me a lot, even after I finished reading it.

Another thing which I didn't like about this book was the font that was used in the story, I was so bothered with it throughout the whole book, and sometimes the author used capital letters and underlining of the words in the dialogue, which I don't know if it is for emphasis or to represent the characters were shouting.


To be really honest with you guys, I really didn't like Nimona, even though she is our main character, and it's just bothering me so much as I was reading the book, She wasn't a character that are annoying or mean, but more like she is so mysterious and thinks highly of herself, not letting others know about her, always wanting to do things her way but ending up hurting herself instead. These things made me not like her personality and her character also. I really want to like her, but even until the end of the story, my hatred for her just kept rising, and she didn't leave a great impression of me even when I finished reading the book, although she did play a big part in the book.


Thing I hate but grew to like:

So I have to bring this out, when I first started reading this book, I wanted to just put it aside and not even give it a chance because of this aspect of the book, and that is the art style. I didn't enjoy the art style of it at all when I first started reading this book, and I nearly didn't give this book a chance because of that. However, I pushed through it, and I grew to like the art style as I read past a-third or close to half of the book. And to be honest, the art style really grew on me as I keep reading on.

All right, I guess that is all I have to say about this book, I really enjoyed reading it, and I would want a sequel to it, but I guess that won't be happening. This book really took an unexpected turn which I really liked, and this really make me want to read more graphic novels!


I hope this book review will make you guys want to read it even more, and I will end this blog post here. I hope you guys enjoyed reading this, and have fun reading the book! With this, happy reading guys!


=)

No comments:

Post a Comment